Thursday, September 9, 2010

Død Snø (2009)

So my friend Mr. Roper aka Mr. R from Hell, who shares our love for bad movies, tells me about this Swedish zombie film that debuted at Sundance named Død Snø (or Dead Snow). So when I found this flick at Best Buy, I was all over it!

Now I have only seen a couple of Swedish movies--my favorite so far is The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo--but so far I am quite impressed with the films they are making. Over all, I tend to shy away from all the big-budget Hollywood films out there--I have yet to see either Avatar or Inception for example--because I love the bad movies! I will certainly keep my eyes open for more Swedish films in the future. Now, lets get to it!

A group of medical students, during Easter holiday, decide to relax at a remote cabin in the woods with a few lady friends. As we all know, this is always a good idea in a bad movie!

"Good thing nothing bad happens in the woods!"


Later that night, they meet a mysterious creepy stranger that warns them of danger from dark times, long ago.

"Gimme some coffee because thar's evil afoot!"


Of course they don't listen because bad things don't happen in the deep, dark woods. Soon, however, they start to think that something may just be a little odd as they make a discovery under the floor boards!

"Say--are we the Goonies?"


A box of ill-gotten loot soon leads to a startling revelation!

"DAMN! I shoulda listened to the creepy coffee guy!"


Now, somebody is awakened and looking for something they lost a while ago...

"That ain't Avon calling!"


...and it is time to raid that convenient tool shed over yonder...

"Hey! A chainsaw! Yep, it's officially a zombie flick!"


...to kick some evil Nazi Zombie butt!

Medical Student Preparing for Exams


This movie has a few problems but, over all, I really liked it. It does play to a few cliches (woods, college students, dark history, Nazi gold, chain saw, etc.) and there is a lot of gore. I mean A LOT OF GORE!! But this movie does deliver some surprisingly good acting for a schlocky film, and how can you really lose with Nazi zombies? If you love bad zombie movies, and I know you do, then it is worth owning. This is a movie that you will certainly enjoy watching again.

Rating: 4 Bites out of 5

-Safari Bob

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Great review ;) Just wanted to state that the movie is in fact Norwegian, not Swedish...

    ReplyDelete